Translate

Monday, August 8, 2016

Northanger Abbey: My Favorite Jane Austen Novel


Northanger Abbey is my favorite Jane Austen novel. Now some of you may be thinking, "Really?! Northanger Abbey?"  I know, I know.  This one doesn't get a lot of attention, but the main reason it's my favorite is because of the heroine, Catherine Morland.

Catherine is such a likable, realistic character with an imagination that tends to run away with her. Who of us hasn't read a book and imagined those scenarios happening in real life? Catherine is my favorite Austen heroine because she is so beautifully flawed. She is young, naive, kind, and generally tries to see the best in people. I love how she grows up through her experiences in this novel. I especially like how patient Henry Tilney is with her. While not the best of Austen's heroes (I'm looking at you Mr. Knightly), Henry absolutely loves Catherine in spite of her flaws and mistakes and that wins me over completely.  He also learns that, while not the villainous monster Catherine thought him, she wasn't completely inaccurate in her assessment of General Tilney. They are very well matched and adorable together.  Anyone else remember this sweet and awkward kiss from the movie with Felicity Jones and JJ Field? (sigh)


Catherine is also very loyal to her friends, and as I mentioned before, tries to see the best in everyone, even Isabella. She is loyal to Isabella until she is shown without a shadow of a doubt that Isabella is not a true friend to her. Additionally, I adored how Catherine and Eleanor were genuine friends. Catherine wasn't just seeking Eleanor's friendship because of Henry, but actually sought to get to know her regardless of developments with her brother. No matter what miscommunications or awkward moments occur, Eleanor never doubts their friendship for a second. 

I think this is my favorite Austen novel because I identify so much with Catherine. Growing up I felt so awkward and unsure of myself. I definitely let my imagination run rampant, but like Catherine, I tried my best to see the good in everyone and look at life with excitement and a sense of adventure. I too found a great partner in my now husband who drew me out of my shell and sought to get to know me and loves me flaws and all. 


Of course on a different day I may be more in the mood for Emma, Pride and Prejudice, or Sense and Sensibility. But I'll share my thoughts about those on another day.  

TTFN, Ta-Ta For Now,

Cordelia M. Blythe


-Original Goodreads Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1714001252?book_show_action=false

-IMDB for Northanger Abbey (2007): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844794/



SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment