Translate

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Book Review: Emma by Jane Austen



Emma. Emma, Emma, Emma. I find myself shaking my head and muttering that under my breath every time I read this book. While Emma is indeed a selfish and snobbish character, she is good-hearted and honest. She learns from her mistakes and only wants what's best for the people she loves. 

**Spoiler Alert**

With the guidance of my favorite Austen hero, Mr. Knightly (swoon), she learns how to see the value in people that she originally thought were beneath her. At the same time, she shows Mr. Knightly the depth of character that he originally thought was lacking in Harriet. 

Emma and Mr. Knightly's scenes are some of the best. It is always a pleasure to read the verbal sparring between two intelligent people, and to view the obviously well matched relationship between them blossom. If one can forget the age difference (apparently this wasn't an issue in Austen's time), Mr. Knightly and Emma have the best relationship in any of Jane Austen's books. 

I think this is the most well balanced of Jane Austen's stories. There is a good mixture of humor, real world issues and consequences, and superb character development. This variety makes for a very fun read.


Additionally, it's been the inspiration for some fantastic movies, tv shows, and web series: 



Clueless (1995), Emma Approved (2014), Emma (1996), Emma (2009), and Emma (1996). 

I re-watch Clueless and the Gwyneth Paltrow version all the time, and I am overdue for an Emma Approved re-watch.  I haven't seen the bottom two versions but I hear they are quite good as well.  

Jane Austen's Emma is my go to when I want something lighthearted, sweet, and romantic.  I hope you enjoy it as well. 

Happy Reading,

Cordelia M. Blythe



No comments:

Post a Comment